It’s great to have this stewed beef soup on winter days. The soup is served hot right from the stove and warms us up by its deep taste and fragrant flavor. I like this kind of soup with both meat and vegetables. In the lack of time when I cannot cook more than one dishes, this stewed soup still provides me enough substances. During the cooking process, I still can do other things and just need to attend to the soup several times until all are tenderly cooked.
Ingredients: (serves 3-4)
- 300g beef, cut into cubes
- 1 medium lotus root, peeled and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 20 dried shiitake mushroom, washed
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 cube beef stock
- 3 pieces of star anise
- a small bunch of cilantro, washed and chopped
- Combine the beef and fish sauce, marinate for 15 minutes.
- Dissolve the beef stock cube in hot water. Add the beef and beef stock to a saucepan together with mushroom and star anise. Bring to a boil then add more water. Bring to boil again and add lotus root slices, stew over low heat until beef is tender.
- Add the chopped carrot and cook until carrot is tender. Season if necessary.
- Just before removing from the oven, stir in the chopped cilantro. Serve hot or warm.