I strongly recommend that you try making this dessert when you have time and gather enough ingredients, though there are only several items. This is one of my all time favourite desserts as it is simple to make and the taste is always wonderful. It is very healthy as well and I don’t have to worry about its fat or sugar content.
It is a kind of sweet soup with the combination of black glutinous rice with yogurt, and when you mix them together, you will have a purple sweet soup. I can have a cup of this soup at anytime of the day. The taste is a well-balanced sourness and sweetness. It’s interesting to chew the rice grains between your teeth. If you are good at recognizing tastes and flavors, you will feel the appearence of pandan essence in the soup as pandan leaves are added to the soup during cooking.
When cooking the rice, I like to let the sticky substances of the rice itself to slightly thicken the soup. Some people use either cornstarch or tapioca starch as thickening agent. I often prefer using tapioca starch.
- 100g black glutinous rice
- 5 pandan leaves
- 4 cups water
- white sugar or rock sugar
- 2 tbs tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I prefer home-made yogurt)
- Wash the rice and pandan leaves well. Put them together with water in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer until the rice grains are tender and chewy.
- Add sugar as much sweet as you like, but I prefer a medium sweet taste for this soup. Cook until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk the tapioca starch with 1/4 cup water and gradually stir into the soup. Cook until heated through and the soup becomes thicker. Remove from the heat and discard the pandan leaves. Let the soup cool completely.
- Mix the cool black glutinous rice soup with yogurt and serve. You may alter the yogurt amount until you find our your most favorite combination.