This bamboo is not of a long shape but big and round at one end and conical at the other end. It is a solid and therefore we can slice it into paper-thin round sheets, which wrap the filling inside to make neat bamboo rolls. However, it requires skillful hands to cut the bamboo into thin slices, of course unless you have a good slicer tool.
It is quite complicated to make this dish so I do not often cook it. This time I made after being requested to prepare recipes with bamboo shoots by the local food magazine. The filling is a mixture of ground chicken breast, egg and herbs. It is a palatable dish to make chicken breast more enjoyableto eat.
Ingredients (3-4 người)
- 1 solid bamboo shoot
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs chopped spring onion
- 3 tbs Vietnamese mint (rau ram)
- 2 tsp chicken cooking granules
- ½ ground pepper
- extra long spring onion
- chili sauce, to serve
- Cut the bamboo into very thin slices.
- Grind the chicken breast. Mix the chicken with egg, spring onion, Vietnamese mint, cooking granules and pepper.
- Use the bamboo slices to wrap the filling inside, then tie with spring onion straws.
- Finish all the rolls.
- Arrange the bamboo rolls in a steamer. Steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with chili sauce.