There are many other ingredients used in this recipe, however, I never mind cooking this as most ingredients are always available in my pantry and, more importantly, cooking procedure is very simple. Still, we have an impressive dish to serve perfectly with steamed rice, or rice noodles.
I liked this chicken at first bite, but I think I liked the sauce more and wished that I had cooked more rice than usual so as not to waste even a drop of the sauce
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 2 chicken legs or 5 chicken thighs
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 80ml warm water
- 40g brown sugar
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs totmato ketchup
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbs cold water
- 1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
- Brown the chicken in hot oil for about 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, paprika, five spice powder, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour over the chicken, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is tender, turn the chicken occasionally.
- Stir the cornstarch in cold water and pour into the pan. Boil the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Sprinkle chopped green onion over the chicken. Serve with hot steamed rice.