A light breakfast sometimes keeps us awake the whole morning. When I stay up late the previous night and still get up at the usual hour, I only feel like having a light breakfast, as heavy breakfast makes me more sleepy.
This fresh tomato and basil on toast is a good choice in such mornings. The freshness and juiciness of the tomatoes bring about a very refreshing feeling. It was the first time I got fresh basil to use. Fresh basil can be bought at large supermarket but the price is often very high for just a few stalk or leaves. But this time I could get a pack for quite reasonable price. I was so eager to try my first time bought fresh basil in actual green leaves.
Ingredients (8 portions)
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- ground pepper
- 8 slices day-old bread
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- some basil leaves, torn
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Wash the tomatoes, half and remove the seeds, then dice.
- Place tomatoes in a salad bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread. Rub the garlic on one side of bread slices.
- Top the bread slices with tomatoes, arrange some pieces of basil and sprinkle with olive oil.