Living in Southest Asia, it is not easy for me to buy fresh berries of all kinds because they are not the products of tropical climate. In Vietnam there are only a few highlands where products of moderate climate can be grown. So these berries are not widely available, and when they are, the prices I think are not always affordable.
Now I’m in Singapore, these berries are often availble at supermarkets but the prices are always very high though the berries are not as fresh as I expected. Still I couldn’t resist the temptation to buy when they are on promotion. Once buying these berries, I kept them as if they are really really precious. This fact is so true for me here and I often dream of oneday picking up the berries with my hands as I love these little stuffs a lot for their taste and look.
These petits gateaux are quite simple to make and the result is outstanding. The cake has the mild flavor and fragrance of coconut cream. Moreover, the sourness of the blackberries balanced the sweetness, creating a delicious combination in the taste. Nevertheless, the pistachios on top of the cake changed into very crispy texture and attractive smell.
I accidentally learned the recipe of a similar petits gateaux somewhere in the Internet, which I couldn’t recall the source now. When making these cupcakes, I had to change a bit with using different ingredients that were available for me. Luckily, these ones did satisfy me and my flatmates
Ingredients: (9-10 cupcakes)
- 90g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125ml coconut cream
- 30g unsalted melted butter
- 220g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 fresh blackberries, washed and drained
- 3 tbs chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350F (177C). Grease the muffin pan or line with paper cups.
- With an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the sugar and eggs for about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, beat in the coconut cream and melted butter, beat about 1 minute until combined.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, add to the egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Gently fold in the blackberries with a spatula.
- Divide the battter into the cups. Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of the cake.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes unti a tootpick inserted comes out clean.