I like steamed food as they are often good to our health with no extra fat used in cooking process. This steamed cabbage and pork rolls are very simple to make.
You may have heard about Vietnamese popular spring rolls. These rolls are definitely less complicated in ingredients. Minced pork’s flavor and texture is enhanced with the use of dried mushroom and black fungus. Of course fish sauce and pepper are indispensable for the authentic taste.
Cabbage leaves play the part as rice papers. They are blanched in boiling water and wilt a bit, which makes them easier to handle and be perfect "papers" to wrap the meat mixture inside. The cabbage leaves will enhance the "sweetness" of the meat. These rolls make our meal totally guilt-free
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 150g minced pork
- 1tbs fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 dried shiitake mushroom, soaked in water to soften
- 2-3 black fungus, soaked in water to soften
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small cabbage, separate into individual sheets, remove the hard central part
- chili sauce, to serve
- Wash the shiitake mushroom and black fungus well, finely chopped.
- Combine the minced pork, fish sauce, pepper, mushroom, black fungus and shallot, mix well.
- Blanch the cabbage sheets in boiling salted water to soften the cabbage. (about 1 minute in hot water only)
- Use the softened cabbage sheets to wrap the minced pork mixture into small rolls. Place them on a plate.
- Prepare a steam pot, place the plate of rolls inside. Steam for 10-15 minutes (the time varies depending on how "fat" the rolls are).
- Serve with chili sauce.