Pan-roasted beef without using extra oil or fat is really a healthy dish. The thin beef slices, after being marinated, are coated with white sesame seeds and placed over hot heavy skillet. The strong heat will cook the beef very quickly. So, it is crucial that the beef is not over-cooked or it will become very chewy and will not feel good in the mouth.
As a tip to make the beef more tender, I used very little oil when marinating the beef. When being roasted, the thin oil coating will prevent the beef from getting dry too fast. It is better to use a heavy one so that the heat can be more concentrated while the beef is cooked fast without being burned.
These beef with sesame seeds can be served with chili sauce and a kind of lettuces as an appertizer.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 200g lean beef, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp ground black or white pepper
- sesame seeds, as needed
- Combine all the ingredents except the sesame seeds. Marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
- Place the sesame seeds on a flat dish.
- Heat a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat until the skillet is very hot.
- Place beef slices one by one on the sesame seed plate to coat both sides. Then immediately transfer to the hot skillet and quickly roast both sides until the beef is just cooked and the sesame seeds turn lightly brown. Roasting time is very short about 30-45 seconds.
- Serve with hot chili sauce and lettuce.