I’ve never made pan pizza before. The reason is I often prepare generous amount of the toppings for my pizza, so with two people, having pan pizza with a lot of toppings are really large servings. So in order to reduce the amount of food, I prefer thin pizza crust with more toppings, which always make my pizzas more prosperous.
However, this very simple garlic and olive pizza made me curious to know how the taste would be like. Since the toppings are nothing but garlic and olive oil, I decided to make pan pizza so that we could have enough to eat for our meal. Far from my expectation, the pizza was really really nice. The thick crust was still very crispy. The toppings, though simple as they were, the taste was definitely not boring at all. It did surprise us a lot.
Pan pizza recipe:
Ingredients (makes two 9” pan pizza bases)
- 125g bread flour
- 160g plain flour
- 200ml warm water
- 1 tsp instant yeast or active instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Combine all the flours.
- Mix together the water, yeast, honey and olive oil in a large bowl. Add 5 tbs of the flour mixture, whisk or beat until smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes until the mixture is foamy on top.
- Add all the flour and salt into the bowl, knead by hands or mixer until the dough is smooth. Cover and place in warm spot until the dough doubles in volume. (about 1 and a half hour).
- Grease one large rectangular pan or two 9” round pans. Roll the dough and press onto the pans. Cover the pans and let stand for 45 minutes.
* Pizza with garlic and olive oil:
Ingredients (two pan pizzas 9”)
- 1 pan pizza recipe as above
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dired oregano
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to the maximum degree about 240C or 475F.
- Mix the garlic, olive oil, oregano, paprika and salt well. Divide the mixture into two portions and spread over the two pan pizza bases, leaving 1cm border.
- Place the baking pans at the lowest rack in the oven. Bake 7-9 minutes until the bases become golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then cut and serve.