This soup is undeniably simple. The stock has the flavor of the beef and tomatoes. It is suitable to serve this soup in any season and it goes well with steamed rice. Or even you want to make this soup as a broth base to a kind of noodle, it is also fine.
The langer koriander leaf is special to this soup to bring about the authentic flavor. If these leaves are not available, you can omit the leaves and use only green onion – which can be either chopped or shredded.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 150g lean beef, thinly sliced
- 1tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- meat cooking granules or salt
- green onion, chopped, white parts separatedhành lá, thái riêng đầu hành trắng
- langer koriander leaves, chopped
- Marinate the beef with fish sauce, oyster sauce and ground pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and white part of the green onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef and stir friy for 2 minutes, then remove from the saucepan.
- Add half of the tomatoes to the saucepan and some cooking granules. Cook until the tomatoes are softened and mashed. Add about 400ml water and bring to a boil.
- Return the beef and the remaining tomato wedges to the saucepan. Cook until the soup boils again. Stir in the green onion and langer koriander leaves.