I was first introduced to this chicken dish by my fiance. Before we knew each other, he sometimes cooked and chicken was one of his most frequently used ingredients. For him in particular, chicken was not easy to cook but also a most affordable source of meat protein.
After i knew him and when I started to cook with him frequently, he taught me to cook this chicken dish, which he was very "skillful" at and proud of. That’s how I knew about the dish.
The simmered chicken I presented today is not exaclty what I was taught. After cooking the dish for several times, I started to change the dish a little bit. The original simmered chicken was without carrot and cilantro. The dish was plain in grey color, which did not look so appealing. I tried adding the carrot so that I would have more … veggie to eat at the same time with the meat. I also believed that the carrot not only adds the texture and color but also the essence from the carrot would make the dish a little sweeter in taste. Finally, I used some cilantro not only to garnish but also to realize that fresh cilantro does promote the dish to a higher level, which makes the dish more complete.
Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
- 1/2 chicken or 2 chicken legs, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 10-15 dried mushroom
- 1 tbs shreded fresh ginger
- half a garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbs fish sauce (add more if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs cornflour
- fresh cilantro, chopped, to serve
- Soak the mushroom in water until softened. Wash and half if necessary. Reserve the soaking water.
- Combine the chicken, carrot, mushroom, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, and pepper in a large saucepan. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Over low heat, cook the chicken for about 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Then pour in the mushroom soaking water, bring to a boil and continue simmering until the chicken and carrot become tender. (about 15 minutes)
- Dissolve the cornflour with 2 tbs cold water and gradually stir into the chicken. Remove when the chicken is heated through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.