I didn’t expect I would like to eat these cookies so much. When I was browsing my book of cookie recipes and stopped at this recipe, I just thought that I still had a bottle of molasses left in my pantry. So I decided to try this new cookie.
Since I used dark molasses, the dark color of the cookies reminded me of the gingerbread men cookies i made last year during for Christmas. That time I baked quite a lot of cookies for Christmas and I shared them with my friends as Christmas gifts, so it was unbelievable that I ate only one gingerbread cookie after they were taken out of the oven and I tried one to see whether the taste was good or not.
This time making these cookies, I can eat more of these very crispy cookies. The taste and flavor of molasses are the strongest of all. If you like molasses, I bet you will love these cookies too. After storing the cookies for several days, they were still very crispy and still tasted freshly. I am totally satisfied with this recipe. It was even better that I could share some of these wonderful treats with our frequent visitors
I made these cookies with heart shape and round shapes. You can choose whatever shape you want. And you can use light molasses instead of dark molasses.
Ingredients (make 30-35)
- 275g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 125g (1/2 cup) molasses
- 140g light brown sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- Mix the flour, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, with a spoon or spatula, beat the molasses, brown sugar and butter until well blended. Mix in the dry ingredients to form a stiff dough.
- Press the dough into a disk, cover with cling film and refridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375oF (190oC). Butter the cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Use cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Transfer them to the cookie sheets, placing 2cm apart.
- Bake about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.