Many Vietnamese housewives know how to cook this dish perfectly. And still, many who don’t know how to make it are asking around for the method of preparing this fried chicken dish. It is always a hot topic when many women want to share their tips of make the best fried chicken.
I also wonder why this dish is so popular. I heard of a story that once in an informal cooking competition, participants were required to cook as many dishes as they could within 1 hour. Amazingly, almost every contestant chose to make this fried chicken to show to the judges.
It is not only a matter of time. It is a matter of how to make this so that people cannot stop eating the chicken. The chicken should be crispy on the outside yet retain moist and deep taste inside. Moreover, the chicken should be fry twice. For the first time, chicken should be fried only until the outside changen their color into light golden. The chicken then is soaked in the marinating sauce again for a while, then is returned to the pan and fried until golden brown and crispy.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 2 chicken wings, cut into parts at the joints, clean well
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- half a garlic clove, crushed
- vegetable oil, as needed
- tomato or cucumber, to serve
- Pat the chicken parts dry with kitchen towel or kitchen paper.
- Combine the fish sauce, sugar, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour over the chicken parts, toss well. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Using a small saucepan or frying pan, add the oil just about 3mm over the bottom of the pan, fry the chicken parts until they start to golden. Reserve the marinating sauce.
- When the chicken parts are golden, remove from the pan and soak into the marinating sauce again for about 30 seconds. Return to the frying pan and fry until all the outer skins become golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with tomato or cucumber.