When I looked into my end-of-week fridge, I found that I still had a pair of chicken breast left and a pack of pandan leaves, which were getting dried very soon. So I immediately remembered a simple way of cooking chicken with these just two main ingredients.
Of course pandan leaves are not edible even after frying, however, the fragrance from the leaves will be released during the cooking time and the chicken will absorb this fragrance. Also, being wrapped in the leaves, the chicken is still tender and juicy. Just notice that do not over-cook the chicken since overcooked chicken breats are not so pleasant to eat.
Remove the pandan leaves from the chicken piece before enjoying the chicken of special flavor.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into thick strips
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bunch of fresh pandan leaves
- vegetable oil, as needed
- Marinate the chicken with fish sauce and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash the pandan leaves. Use the tender parts only for easy handling. Pat dry.
- Wrap each chicken piece in pandan leaf and use toothpick to enclose the leaf and the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the wrapped chicken for about 3-5 minutes, or until the meat is just cooked and the pandan leaves turn dark brown in color.