I was very amazed at this pasta. This is the first time I cooked spinach pasta and applied spinach cream as the sauce to the pasta. The outcome was a big surprise to me. It was very impressive with the contrast between the deep red color of the roast tomatoes and the deep green color of the spinach cream.
And there was nothing I could complain about the taste. It was very refreshing with gentle fragrance of the spinach cream. The tomatoes, after being roasted, became soft and very sweet. The sweetness was very concentrated due to the moisture lost during roasting. The outside of the tomato wedges were a bit dry, made them a bit chewy, whereas the inside were very tender and juicy. I really loved the roast tomato, especially when I combined everything on my serving plate in a bite, I couldn’t resist the temptation to eat more. I should have tried this pasta sooner, I thought.
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 40g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g spinach, trimmed
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 125ml thick (double/heavy) cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 500g fresh spinach fettucine
- 50g shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 220oC(425oF).
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways, then cut each half into three wedges.Place the wedges on a slightly greased baking tray and roast for 30-35 minutes, or until softened and slightly golden.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large frying pan oer medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the spinach, stock and cream.Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil.Simmer for 5 minutes.Remove from the heat and season. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente.Drain well and return to the pan to keep warm.
- Process the spinach mixture in a food processor until smooth.Toss through the pasta until well coated.
- Top with the roasted tomatoes and parmesan.