Cakes with yogurt or cream cheese are always my favourites since they are moist, mild and the gentle sourness makes them not so sweet. Fresh strawberries add interesting texture and more flavour to these cupcakes. When eating them, I was eager at each bite to see if I could get a slice of strawberry or not.
Fresh strawberries are rather expensive, so each time I can buy some at a little bit cheaper price, I will definitely preserve them for making dessert instead of eating them raw, or using strawberries to decorate other desserts. I always dream of one day having a chance to pick those cute little things with my own hands in the berry gardens.
With these little cakes, I preserved them in an air-tight container then put them in the fridge to make sure that they would not get dry. When the cake is cooler, it is tastier becasue of its moist yogurt content. Just perfect for my breakfast and tea time.
Ingredients: (to make 12 regular cupcakes)
- 115g butter, softened
- 110g white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, small
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1 cup plain yogurt
- sliced strawberries (you may choose the quantity, just make sure not so much)
- Preheat the oven to 350oF/180o C.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder; stir one-third of the flour mixture into the batter alternately with half of the the yogurt. Repeat this sequence, end with the flour. Gently fold in the sliced strawberry with a spatula.
- Divide the batter into the prepared 12 paper cups.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.