In summer day, a glass of lemon juice simply made with cold water and sugar can make me feel satisfied. When writing this post, I am enjoying it and remembering the cake with a wonderful taste and flavor I made not long ago.
I am always inspired by recipes with lemons, especially when it comes to sweet cakes or desserts. I like making baking pastry, however, I cannot eat much of those that are too sweet. So in most of my baking, I reduce the amount of sugar as required in the original recipes. With this alteration, I often have to pay more attention to baking time and the baking temperature to compensate for the reduced sugar, in order to get the right and beautiful color for the crust.
This time, again, after baking the lemon cake with sugar reduced, I also reduced the sugar used in making the lemon frosting. The cake and frosting were perfect to my family’s liking, however, not enough sugar made the frosting not too white when cooled down. If you use enough sugar, certainly you will get a milky white frosting.
Nguyên liệu: ( one 8” or 9” spring-form pan)
- 226g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 130g white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla powder)
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 280g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60ml lemon juice (extract)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 115g icing sugar (I used only 70g)
- Preheat oven to 180o C (350oF). Grease the side of the pan and place a parchment paper on the bottom.
- With a mixer at high speed, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Adding one egg at a time, beat until well combined after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add this flour mixture to the butter mixture above, along with the lemon juice, beat until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake about 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice and icing sugar, then pour all over the cooled cake to let the frosting run by itself. Serve when the icing has hardened.